Problems with lenders -- from high interest rates to late fees -- topped the list of complaints to the North Carolina attorney general's office in 2011, according to data released today.
More than 18,000 complaints were filed last year to the office's consumer protection division. Of those, nearly 4,000 involved lenders.
While some complaints involved traditional lenders, the category also included foreclosure assistance and loan modification scams.
The rest of the top 10:
- Health care: 3,271 complaints
- Telemarketing calls: 2,933
- Credit and collections: 1,426
- Motor vehicles: 1,348
- Telemarketing fraud: 1,036
- Home repair: 988
- Television services: 946
- Internet and computers: 911
- Phones/cell phones: 825